Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Mammy's Boring Life

Only One Task Accomplished From My List: Looking at Lily's pictures

Lists are a must in my life because it is fairly busy even though it is boring. If I don't have a list, I forget what I need to do or more often what everyone else wants me to do. But on the other hand to do lists seem to take days and sometimes weeks to get done. I was all ready to get everything on my list checked off until the phone rang. I knew it was coming, but I thought it might wait a while.
If I go a few days without really spending any time with my mother-in-law, Granny, she will "invent" a way so that I will. I need to start watching a TV program every day with her or something easy like that. Nevertheless, she called to say that we really needed to redo the green tomato relish we made about a week ago TODAY! (This is really a Marie/Mammy story.) The reason we needed to redo it was that it was so salty, you couldn't stand to eat it. The reason it was too salty was that she was doing the salting. You cut up the tomatoes, onions, and peppers (my dictated job) and then layer them with salt (her chosen job). She kept on saying "you can't get too much salt in this" ... "it looks like this would be so salty that you couldn't eat it, but you just can't get too much salt" and all the time she was pouring an unreal amount of salt in it. We had less than two gal. and she used a 1 and 1/2 boxes of salt in it. Needless to say, YOU CAN PUT TOO MUCH SALT IN IT! When we started to pour the salt water off of it to cook it, white layers of salt were everywhere. I asked Granny if we might need to rinse it off, but she said "No, you don't do that!" I slipped and rinsed some of it when she wasn't looking, but not nearly enough. So today we had to pour each jar out one at a time, rinse it off and let it soak in water a little while, then heat it up with more vinegar and sugar. I still don't know why we had to do it one jar at a time. I guess because I had to stay longer that way. When we finished and I got the kitchen cleaned up, I went outside (my refuge these days) and tied up my tomato plants and did some weedeating. Granny came to the door and asked about cooking some potatoes and cornbread to go with some peas she had cooked today. I said that would be good. When I went in to get her trash she was trying to peel the potatoes. I finished supper and we ate. By the time I finished cleaning the kitchen, she had managed to get about six hours of companionship. Bless her heart; I'm really not complaining. I figure that by the time I get 80, well change that to 60 or 65, (I doubt I live a long life), I will know lots of ways to try to talk someone into keeping me company. I will be posting notes on my blog begging the MeeMaws to write to me - LONG notes - that I can read over and over again.

I guess my one small difference today was in keeping Granny company and helping her. That seems to be what I am supposed to do, and I am trying and praying that I can be content in every situation.

Well, I have three new additions to my list. Maybe I can get everything checked off tomorrow, but probably not. Oh well, I don't have to go to a job; I'll get it done sometime or die trying to get it done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home